In the previous sessions we have seen the proc and corns of Flutter and in this session we will see how to install it in a Mac system.
We need the below system requirement to install Flutter
- Operating system:MacOS ( 64 bit )
- Disk Space: We recommend at-least 10GB of space which include IDE/tools
- Command line Tools: bash, curl, git 2.x, mkdir, rm, unzip, which, zip
Step 1 : Click to download Flutter SDK
Step 2 : Copy the above to you Development folder and Unzip the file.
Step 3 : Add flutter tool to your path $ export PATH=”$PATH:`pwd`/flutter/bin”
Step 4 : Run flutter doctor in your terminal this checks the environment and gives the results as below $ flutter doctor.
$ flutter doctor
Doctor summary (to see all details, run flutter doctor -v):
[✓] Flutter (Channel stable, v1.12.13+hotfix.9, on Mac OS X 10.14.6 18G2022, locale en-IN)
[-] Android toolchain – develop for Android devices
• Android SDK at /Users/obiwan/Library/Android/sdk
✗ Android SDK is missing command line tools; download from https://goo.gl/XxQghQ
• Try re-installing or updating your Android SDK,
visit https://flutter.dev/setup/#android-setup for detailed instructions.
[✗] Xcode – develop for iOS and macOS
✗ Xcode installation is incomplete; a full installation is necessary for iOS development.
Download at: https://developer.apple.com/xcode/download/
Or install Xcode via the App Store.
Once installed, run:
sudo xcode-select –switch /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer
sudo xcodebuild -runFirstLaunch
✗ CocoaPods not installed.
CocoaPods is used to retrieve the iOS and macOS platform side’s plugin code that responds to your plugin usage on the Dart side.
Without CocoaPods, plugins will not work on iOS or macOS.
For more info, see https://flutter.dev/platform-plugins
sudo gem install cocoapods
[!] Android Studio (version 3.6)
[!] Connected device (1 available)
Step 5 : Next we will setup Android as a first step we will download Android Studio Download
Step 6 : Install Android SDK
Warning : In Android Studio 3.6 or later, you need to manually add the old version of the Android SDK Tools for Flutter to work. To do this:
- Open the Android Studio SDK Manager
- In the Android SDK tab, uncheck Hide Obsolete Packages
- Check Android SDK Tools (Obsolete)
Step 7 : Setup Android Emulator follow the below steps
- First enable VM acceleration on your machine.
- Launch Android Studio > Tools > Android > AVD Manager and select Create Virtual Device.
- Choose any one and give Next.
- Select any system images for the Android versions you want to emulate, and select Next.
- Check the AVD configuration and select Finish.
- Run AVD in the toolbar to start the emulator.
Step 8 : Install Flutter plugin in Android Setup follow the below steps
- Click on Android Studio > Preferences
- Select Plugins and click Market Place search for flutter and click to install. You IDE will prompt for restart allow it to complete.
That’s it we have completely installed all the components required to learn or develop our flutter application.
In the Next session we will Explore how to install and setup the environment in the Windows machine. Others can skip Session 04 and directly go to Session 05 where we will learn to run our first Flutter demo application.